SOURCE Service-Learning Academy
SOURCE Service-Learning Academy Overview
The SOURCE Service-Learning Academy is a one-year, comprehensive program that equips Fellows with all of the necessary tools and methods to develop critical service-learning partnerships and courses.
This academy is intended for:
- Faculty at any institution who are new to service-learning
- Faculty currently teaching service-learning courses
- Curriculum designers
- Community engagement staff and administrators
- Teaching and Learning staff and administrators
Coursework and Requirements
As a fellow, you will:
- Learn how to design critical service-learning projects from pedagogy experts, faculty, nonprofit leaders and community organizers
- Join a community of 70+ service-learning professionals in graduate and health education
- Work 1-to-1 with a faculty mentor to design service-learning courses and projects
- Attend a virtual summer seminar and monthly webinars that address specific topics like:
- critical pedagogy,
- community engagement best practices,
- designing reflections,
- and integrating social justice into education
- Virtual Summer Seminar: June 6-7, 2022
- Monthly Webinars: September thru November 2022; January thru April 2023
- 1-to-1 advising sessions with service-learning faculty mentor
The total cost of the Academy is $4,500.
- For full-time JHU faculty: Full-time, benefits eligible JHU employees are eligible for 100% tuition remission. There is no cap to this benefit and it does not deduct from the annual $5,250 allotment for credit courses.
- For non-JHU applicants: Please check with your home institution about similar tuition-remission programs. When discussing this professional development opportunity with your home institution or department, please note that the cost of the Academy includes support for an entire academic year. Partial needs-based scholarships are available.
- To learn more please contact the SOURCE Associate Director, Dr. Tyler Derreth at firstname.lastname@example.org.