Johns Hopkins HEAT Corps
Teach COVID-19 Curriculum to Youth through JH HEAT Corps
Johns Hopkins Health Education And Training Corps (HEAT Corps) seeks Johns Hopkins volunteers to be trained and supported to provide health education and training regarding COVID-19 to youth. The program is currently being taught through virtual platforms with schools and non-profit organizations throughout the United States, in other countries, and with a particular focus on Baltimore City Public Schools.
JH HEAT Corps is a unique opportunity for Hopkins volunteers to develop their own health education and teaching skills, while simultaneously supporting youth in their understanding of COVID-19. Volunteers will receive training and guidance from a team of Johns Hopkins faculty and staff. Through the HEAT Corps curriculum, volunteers will be discussing current COVID-19 science and ways to help communities combat COVID-19. Volunteers will be trained in public health knowledge of how the pandemic started, learn about the science of the vaccines, understand the mental health consequences of the pandemic, while teaching every K-12 student what role they can play in ending the pandemic. Our trained HEAT Corps volunteers will play a pivotal role in disseminating public health information through learning top-tier medical information on the COVID-19 pandemic!
JH HEAT Corps Volunteer Expectations
- Completion of online training module (approximately 1 hour of content)
- Participation in one, 2-hour live training sessions via Zoom
- Completion of JH Child Safety Policy training (approximately 30 minutes)
- Providing the JH HEAT Corps team with your regular availability for teaching courses
- Dedicating a minimum of 8-10 hours per month as a volunteer, with a minimum commitment to the Fall 2021 semester and option to continue
- Responding in a timely manner to scheduling requests
- Reporting all volunteer hours, activities and program evaluations through the Hopkins Engage system
- Using the Hopkins Engage system for session registrations
- Adding a PROFILE PICTURE to your Hopkins Engage system, if selected as a JH HEAT Corps Volunteer
- Commitment to on-going communication and feedback, as we work together to expand the JH HEAT Corps Program