Child First Authority
3904 Hickory Avenue, Suite 200
Baltimore, MD 21211
Contact: Jennifer McDowell, Director of Community Schools
Function of Organization/Site
In 1996 Child First Authority (CFA) was established by BUILD, Baltimoreans United in Leadership Development, following a citywide listening campaign. The campaign called for safe, productive learning environments for children in the out of school time hours. Child First is currently the community school non-profit partner and out of school time provider at eight community schools and the out of school time provider at three additional schools.
Child First has a well-established reputation for quality youth development programs and a track record for organizing parents to advocate for systems change. Child First wants its programs and strategies to advance the following results:
- All children in Child First partner schools are physically, socially and emotionally healthy;
- All children in Child First partner schools are academically and socially prepared to engage in rigorous middle and high school experiences;
- All families and community members in Child First partner school zones are leaders in their school community, city or state; and
- All families and community members in Child First partner school zones are physically, socially, emotionally and economically healthy.
SOURCE volunteers will have the opportunity to work at either of the following Child First Authority Community Schools:
- City Springs Elementary/ Middle School located at 100 S. Caroline St
- Dr.Bernard Harris Elementary located at 1400 N.Caroline St.
- Data analysis
- Needs assessment
- Health and wellness
- Physical activity workshops
- After-school programming and tutoring
Background Checks will be free and required through Baltimore City Public Schools.Orientation will be provided.
Dr.Bernard Harris Elementary School 1400 N.Caroline St is 1 miles from JHSPH
Bus:City Link Gold or CityLink Lime
City Springs Elementary School (100 S. Caroline St.) is 0.9 miles from JHSPH.
Bus: CityLink Blue or CityLink Orange to 100 S. Caroline St