Important Elements of Thoughtful Service
- Community Voice: Listen to and include the needs and voice of the community
- Intentionality: Be informed about the issue, the community with whom you are working, and the community agency that is hosting you
- Positionality: Recognize “where” we are in relation to the service work and the community (privilege, stereotypes, etc.)
- Reciprocity: Share in the experience with the community; serve and be open to being served
- Reflection: Discuss reactions, share stories, place the experience in a broader context. This is a crucial component of the community service-learning experience and should happen immediately after the experience.
*Read the Do's and Don'ts of Partnerships for more tips on partnering with community-based organizations.