SOURCE Service Scholars Program
SOURCE is currently accepting Scholar Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Application deadline is Sunday, March 12 at 11:59pm
How to Apply:
SSS Projects have already been identified with SOURCE community partners. Applicants should review all projects online and rank up to 5 top choices of interest. Applications will be reviewed, and top candidates for each project will be invited to interview with the CBOs. To access the online application form, click HERE.
- Service Hour Requirement: Commitment to at least 150 service hours with partner organization over the course of the academic year, as well as regular check-in meeting with their CBO contact
- Summer Assignments: Scholars will be assigned readings and reflections throughout the summer leading up to their direct placement with community partners. Scholars are required to complete all readings and reflections by dates indicated throughout the summer.
- SOURCE Staff Advisor Meetings: Scholars must meet with their assigned SOURCE Advisor on a regular basis to discuss personal reflections, progress on their project and general experiences related to the service experience (the first meeting will take place at the completion of summer assignments).
- Scholar Reports: Scholars will be required to complete several written progress reports throughout the course of their service year.
- SOURCE Service Academy: Through a series of seminars and trainings, the SOURCE Service Academy will train Scholars in service project management, including: successful recruitment, retention and management of volunteers, principles of academic-community partnership, service-learning pedagogy and leadership for social change. Scholars will also be required to complete a variety of assignments and readings as part of the service academy. All Academy session dates are mandatory.
- Academy dates:
- Summer 2017: Remote online sessions
- Wed, Sept 13th, 2017: SOURCE Service Academy training #1
- Wed, Oct 25th, 2017: SOURCE Service Academy training #2
- Wed, Nov 29th, 2017: SOURCE Service Academy training #3
- Wed, Feb 21st, 2018: SOURCE Service Academy training #4
- Wed, April 25th, 2018: SOURCE Service Scholars Celebration and Final Academy Session
- Volunteer Recruitment: Each Scholar will be required to recruit at least four additional JHU health professional students to work on the designated project throughout the year. The Scholar will act as the team leader and will implement volunteer management skills and service-learning pedagogy knowledge gained during Service Academy sessions.
- Final Presentations: Scholars will be required to present their projects and progress through a poster at the Year-End Celebration (Wed, Apr 25th, 2018).
- $1,500 stipend
- Practical experience in service-learning theory and practice, project management, volunteer recruitment and management, fundraising, and program assessment and evaluation.
- Valuable professional development experience through the SOURCE Service Academy and mentorship with SOURCE staff.
- Community-based practical experience in the health field.
- Open to all students from the Johns Hopkins University Schools of Public Health and Nursing who will be enrolled full-time for the duration of the 2017- 2018 academic year.
- Applications must be completed by Sun, Mar 12th at 11:59 pm. Applicants will complete an online application form and attach their resume to the form. To access the application form, click HERE.
- Applicants should thoroughly review projects and rank their top 5 projects within the applications.
- An internal admissions team will review applications and will select the top 3-4 students to interview per project. Interviews will take place between Wed, March 15 – Thurs, March 30. Applicants will be notified by Mon, March 13 regarding the status of their potential interview(s).
- Final matching of projects will be completed by Mon, April 3.